We welcome pupils from all over the world, who attend our Upper school for one term or longer. They are placed with approved families who are connected with the school, and they quickly become valued members of the school community.
In order to fully benefit from the experience and to have sufficient time to prepare for any English-language exams being taken, pupils are strongly recommended to attend for a minimum of two terms.
Curriculum and English Language Exams
Visiting pupils follow their class’ curriculum as well as participating actively in English classes which are tailor-made for each group. Depending on the class and term, visiting pupils participate in class trips such as Surveying in the Scottish Highlands, farm stays, work experience placements, etc.
For pupils in Classes 10 there is the opportunity to formally validate their English language skills through the internationally recognised Cambridge exams. These range from A2 – C2 on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages and may be from either the Cambridge Range or IELTS (International English Language Testing System).
In 2016 – 2017 there was a 100% pass rate in the :
- First Certificate in English – at C1 level, Grade A (highest attainable level)
- Cambridge Advanced English Exam – C2 level, Grade A (highest attainable level)
- IELTS Exam
In addition, visiting pupils are taken on cultural and historical visits on Friday afternoons. Edinburgh, the capital of Scotland, is a diverse, dynamic, and leafy city at the heart of Scottish culture. Its picturesque location and manageable size allow for easy exploration. Every street reveals a bit of history and there are many museums, galleries and quality shopping.
Edinburgh has the special designation of being a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Find out more at visitscotland.com/Edinburgh
Application Process & Fees
Pupils wishing to attend the Edinburgh Steiner School from abroad should complete a Visiting Student Application Form. This should be returned with:
- A copy of the pupil’s most recent school reports, translated into English if possible, though we can read German, French and Dutch
- A letter (in English) from the student providing us with general information about him/herself, including why he/she wishes to come to our school
- A doctor’s statement about his/her general health and any dietary requirements (if applicable)
- A recent photograph (passport size if possible)
We advise applying early, as places are limited. Visiting students who wish to stay for more than one term will be given priority.