Our next milestone to meet…
Grant applications to philanthropic foundations are ongoing, to raise the funds to extend our Biology and Physics building with a purpose-built Chemistry lab, bringing the sciences under one roof (£275,000) and add WCs to the West Coach House stables to serve a growing campus and permit the School Hall to raise further revenue for the not-for-profit School as a summer hire venue. If you know of a Foundation that would want to support Edinburgh Steiner School, a registered charity for the advancement of education, and who shares our ethos and our mission, we would be hugely grateful for your imparted knowledge. Please get in touch by email: email@example.com. Alternatively, call 0131 337 3410 Ext 3
Multi Media Donor Tree
Parents, teachers, alumni and friends of the School are helping in this effort greatly, enriching the ongoing community construction of this project by pledging to give monthly, offering one-off donations and volunteering at our Christmas Market. These donations will go towards paying back a community loan of £50,000 over its 5-year term and fund future phases of the campus development project (see The Vision). Growing Spaces will be creating a donor tree recognising all those who are helping our school grow as a beacon of Steiner education in Scotland. This will be displayed on campus.
- Contractors due to start restoration, turning the former Chemistry Lab into the newest addition to the Early Years. It will become the second Seedlings, welcoming children at the beginning of their Waldorf education.
- Break ground with the West Coach House, preparing it for the contractors to begin conservation works, turning the building into modern curriculum space. Upper School pupils help strip out the building.
- Growing spaces receives £15,934 in literary royalties from the Kovaks Estate, adding to the £5,013 received in February 2020, and £50,000 in 2019, totalling almost £71k.
- Growing Spaces endeavoured to break ground with Phase 2 in Easter 2020. The School closed its gates at the end of March 2020 due to the Covid pandemic, learning moved online, and the West Coach House renovation was postponed.
- Fundraising efforts are underway to raise £0.5million to repair the West Coach House, which is currently the chemistry lab. (See How You Can Play Your Part).
- Parent-organised Christmas Market raises a record gross amount of £22,000. 40% of the net proceeds are allocated to Growing Spaces, adding to the £30,000 committed from the Christmas Market Fund from previous years efforts.
- Anthoposophy Edinburgh offer Growing Spaces a Community Loan of £50,000.
- Growing Spaces receives a £50,000 donation from the literary estate of former teacher Charles Kovacs, with a pledge to gift all future literary royalties from his books to the project.
- Our Petition for Sponsorship is translated into German by parent Elli Phethean to support philanthropic funding applications.
- The newly converted East Coach House features in the Doors Open architectural event, in association with Benjamin Tindall Architects. It is the 30th anniversary of this initiative, encouraging people to discover some of Edinburgh’s most unique and interesting buildings which are normally closed to the public. Event theme: Global Connections.
- East Coach House wins ‘Honourable Mention – in Architectural Design / Educational Buildings‘ by Architecture MasterPrize (AMP). AMP is aiming to become one of the most respected awards in the industry globally.
- East Coach House is in the press: ‘The former school of Scots Outlander star Sam Heughan is starting the academic year with two new large classrooms and a pair of studios for creative arts‘ published in Scottish Field, 13th August 2019.
- Trustees announce Growing Spaces will move forward to Phase Two, altering the School’s sister West Coach House from the Chemistry Lab into the twelfth full-sized classroom and additional smaller teaching space and bathrooms. The 150-year-old building is rapidly falling into disrepair; and now requires urgent conservation. Building Warrant approval is underway for the B-listed outbuilding.
- East Coach House is completed. The building is a living example of community construction – with pupil, parent and teacher involvement.
- The project is a candidate for two architectural awards: A J Architecture Awards in the Schools category and Architecture MasterPrize in the Educational Building category.
- Growing Spaces granted £3,000 towards the East Coach House by Hermes Trust.
- British breathable paint company Earthborn donates paint from across its environmentally kind collection to coat 1,140 square meters of walls and ceiling.
- Campus Development section of School website complete.
- Phase One breaks ground, converting the dilapidated East Coach House and stables into two full sized classrooms, and a pair of studios for Creative Arts, with inside/outside curriculum space.
- Building Warrant approval received for architect drawings converting dilapidated C-Listed East Coach House into curriculum space. Historic Scotland note: “The survival of the stable block contributes to a large extent to the listed building status”.
- Planning Permission is granted for phases of the long-term campus development strategy: restoring our listed 150-years-old Coach Houses, and creating outdoor learning areas; building a new Science lab and storage; extending our Kindergarten buildings.
- Fundraising Coordinator hired to raise funds towards the proposed £8 million long-term campus development project.
- Classroom and metalwork studio at East Coach House are dismantled and relocated to two converted shipping containers erected beside Craigneen villa.
- Trustees collaborate with Benjamin Tindall Architects to work on the Growing Spaces Project, a long-term campus development strategy to create additional inspirational learning spaces, bring the School’s Listed villas up-to-date, and enhance our campus’s energy-efficiency and sustainability, which sits within three acres of a conservation area of Edinburgh.